Baked Portobello Fries
First off, thanks to everybody who read yesterday’s post about eating “too healthily,” and to those of you who commented. Some things are difficult to write, and it’s great to know that I’m not alone! You’re seriously fantastic. ❤
I’m learning to be much more flexible with my meals, and last night’s dinner with Arc was a perfect example! It came together in a mish-mash of family recipes, blogger inspiration and the very limited ingredients at hand. We ended up enjoying parmesan portobello fries with homemade marinara for dunkage, pasta, and a purple kale salad.
The mushrooms were deceptively easy.
Breaded, Baked, Portobello “Fries”
Inspired by A Cozy Kitchen
- Take two portobello caps, wash them and then slice them into long strips about 3/4″ wide.
- In a food processor, combine toasted (or stale) bread, parmesan and parsley. Grind’r up.
- Dip your Pb caps into a bowl filled with egg whites (or a whole egg, I just didn’t have any.)
- Dip eggy Pb caps into crumb mixture.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, bake for 15 mins at 425.
Next, if you’re me, proceed to burn your hands, mouth, tongue, etc in your haste to try one of these bad boys:
Meanwhile Arc whipped up a batch of fresh Marinara sauce for dunkage:
And as he was making marinara, he threw some noodles on to cook as well. I was more preoccupied with the mushrooms but I always get a kick out of how simple and comforting pasta is with a light homemade sauce. I only had room for a few bites, but Arc enjoyed his man-sized serving immensely ;D
Fueled with that delish dinner we headed out on the town to a jazz bar for the last of my birthday celebrations with some of my favorite people. I love going to jazz/swing bars; it’s so refreshing to get away from the creepy old men and all that grinding. The club scene just keeps getting grimier – or is that just me? Maybe at this ripe old age at 22 I am becoming grandmotherly ;)
- Question: Do you look at menus before you go out to eat? I always look up the restaurant online because it takes me hours to decide!!
Enjoy the rest of your weekends!