When I was a little girl we carved a pumpkin every single year. And when I say “we”, I mean that my brother and I threw pumpkin goop at each other, picked our designs and then watched my dad get to work while my mom fried up the seeds.
This year, for the first time, I carved my own pumpkin. And when I say “I”, I kind of mean that I put my poor boyfriend to work with the knife after I had picked out the design. To be fair, though, I helped clean the thing, and then got to work in the kitchen to whip up some crunchy roasted pumpkin seeds!
Minus the overly-enthusiastic stab I plunged into our pumpkin before he took the knife away, our pumpkin was a hilarious success. I adore the minions from Despicable Me — don’t you?
If you messed up your first pumpkin (it happens, I get it) don’t worry: cut the flesh away from the rind and cube it, then roast the cubes to make this scrumptious soup. It’s worth buying pumpkins for year round! If you don’t have a pumpkin handy, butternut squash would be great.
Pumpkin Soup with Roasted Seeds
This silky soup tastes like fall in a bowl! It’s a yummy way to prepare fall squash, and to use the seeds from your Halloween pumpkins ^^
- 4 cups of cubed pumpkin (butternut squash would work well, too!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece of fresh ginger (unpeeled), thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups organic low-sodium vegetable (or chicken) broth
- Pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans
- Soy milk, to garnish
- Stale bread, toasted, for croutons
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine pumpkin, coconut oil, shallots, ginger and salt.
- Put in a baking dish and bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally
- Warm up broth in a big saucepan
- Add your roasted veggies to the broth
- Purée with an immersion blender, or in batches in a normal blender
- Toast nuts over medium heat with a bit of olive oil, stirring constantly, for 5-6 minutes
- Garnish with a swirl of cream (or soy creamer), croutons and toasted nuts.
- OR, if you’ve just carved yourself a halloween pumpkin:
- KEEP the pumpkin seeds and wash all the pumpkin goop off
- Dry them well
- Toss them in coconut oil and sea salt
- Roast at 325 for 10 minutes.
- Take the seeds out, give them a stir, and pop them in again until done (5-10 more minutes)